sábado, 12 de setembro de 2015

Você sabe Inglês?

Pois é, eu achei que sabia mas estou longe disso. Alguns textos que coletei na web comprovaram a minha ignorância... Verifique no texto abaixo se você conhece as palavras grifadas.

10 Things You Should Never Do to Your Lawn[1]
During a summer of discontent[2] about 20 ago, I cut lawns to survive. Actually, that was the job of Gary, Rick and Tony. I was more the Wench[3] of Weed[4] Whacking[5], the Pope of Pulling Poison Ivy. Every morning at 5:30, I'd drag my aching bones[6] out of bed, look out the window and pray for rain. Rain meant no work and more sleep. Rain also meant no money and thicker lawns[7]. I couldn't win.
We never cut tiny[8] postage-stamp lawns. Oh no, these were the lawns of the wealthy[9]. You could smell the money and the fertilizer. On one particularly hot and steamy afternoon, we pulled up[10] to an estate[11] with a lawn the size of Rhode Island. Every week we came here. I turned to my good friend Tony and rather[12] sullenly[13] asked, "Do people really need lawns this big?" The lawn was gorgeous, green and lush[14]. I vowed[15] never, ever to have a lawn that size. I kept that promise -- until last year.
My New England property was once studded with[16] hemlocks[17]maples, ashes and something I call the "bean tree." Over the years and the storms, trees tumbled[18] and branches fell like World War II buzz bombs. Now I have nearly 2 acres (0.8 hectare) of, um[19], lawn. I cut it myself with a tiny 24-inch (61-centimeter) mower[20] (I'm not the brightest spark[21] plug on the engine). Over the years, which included the heady[22] days of working with Gary, Rick and Tony, I learned a few things you should never do to a lawn. Here are 10.




[1] Lawn - gramado
[2] Discontent - descontentamento
[3] Wench - rapariga
[4] Weed – erva daninha
[5] Whacking  - colossal
[6] aching bonés – ossos doloridos
[7] thicker lawns – gramados mais espessos
[8] Tiny - minúsculo
[9] Wealthy - rico
[10] pulled up - levantado
[11] Estate - propriedade
[12] And rather – um pouco
[13] Sullenly – mal humorado
[14] Lush - exuberante
[15] Vowed - prometido
[16] Studded with – cravejado
[17] Hemlock – planta européia muito venenosa
[18] Tumbled - tombado
[19] Um – expressão de hesitação ahnn...
[20] Mower - podadora
[21] Spark – vela de ignição do motor
[22] Heady - inebriante

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário